The Infrequently Updated Page
Gripe of the moment
Walkmans? Walkmen? Whatever the plural is.... why do they go
knackered so quickly? I seem to get through them so quickly these days.
I suspect it's due to my above average build causing a slight "overhang"
on my belt which pushes against the walkman forcing it away from the
belt fitting and causing undue strain on the headphone socket and the
belt-clip (which are inevitably the parts which give way first). Perhaps
a new range of "Waddlemen" for people of "generous builds" could be
Exciting personal fact of the moment
Although many people see my childhood home, Pilling, as an uninteresting
village in the North-West of England (and still more people just say "where?")
Pilling has a fine and interesting historical tradition and has many
mysterys and exciting historic things for the visitor to witness. A brief
list of some of the more interesting pieces of history:
- Broadfleet Bridge features the only "devil's footprint" in the north
of England - left there by Satan himself as he was forced out of the village
after an argument with the schoolmaster.
- Cockerham Marsh to the north has a history of strange lights leading
travellers off the tracks and also of demonic possession.
- In the 19th century Pilling was home to a notorious "baby farm".
For a price, women with unwanted pregnancies could stay until the baby
was delivered. The child would then be "taken care of" in either sense of
the phrase depending on fees paid.
- A severed woman's head was found on Pilling Moss in 1824.
Gratuitous plug of the moment
"Life after God" by Douglas Coupland - magnificent - I won't attempt
to review it.
Tacky object of the moment
A bit of software this time. I was horrified by the demo of
Knowledge Adventure - 3D Dinosaur adventure. This is a bit of
software so unselfconscious in its imbecility it will make you
feel fear. Here are just some of the features
Put on your 3d glasses now.
- Dozens of 3d movies of dinosaurs. See dinosaurs fight,
eat, fight, relax and FIGHT.
- Create your own dinosaur with the Create-o-saurus.
- Save your favorite dinosaurs from a comet.
- Explore the world's first THREE D, VIRTUAL REALITY,
- Gag at the thought that this is being sold as an educational
program and that there are people out there who can mistake staring
at pictures of a T-Rex killing things for education.
Back to my
WARNING: this may be an OLD version of this page.
You could find an updted version of this page from my